Monday, May 28, 2007

And so it begins

So I made it to Philadelphia in one piece - uneventful flight but a very eventful day. Leah dropped me off at the airport and I made it through security without any trouble although I kept my goggles (my HUGE sunglasses) on until I boarded the plane - I slept the entire way to Phily got my bags and jumped in a cab to the hotel. I made it here in no time at all and found a few other volunteers waiting. We collected almost the entire group before registration which was great fun to meet and talk about our funny experiences and adventures with the Peace Corps thus far. Staging was interesting - a lot of information and common sense stuff all rolled into an afternoon. at one point the staging director said to us if this is not something we think we can do we can still back out - I have to say I thought about it for a second "should I want to back out" and the answer is NO I am so ready for this! three of us went out to an ok dinner and then crashed.

we've made it through half of staging today and we found out this morning one girl decided to go home last night - to get this far and turn around we all were a little shocked, to say the least.

Love to everyone and if I didn't get a chance to say goodbye to anyone I'm sorry but I am not really good at the whole goodbye thing!

xoxo

9 comments:

hoagiehut said...

We were wearing goggles here too!!

So glad the first two days went so well - can't imagine leaving now. The best part is yet to come.

Miss you, LOVE YOU!!
xxoo
mom

millitt said...

I had my beer goggles on for you Al! Leah arrived without getting lost, and it was great to see her. She left for Princeton and is coming back next week. I think I will urge her to go to the Diana exhibit, what do you think?? Hope you had a swell flight, how did that pillow and blinders work?? Lots of Love, Aunt Doobs

Reagan-Little said...

We are thrilled to finally find the blog and are anxious to keep up with your experiences. We have a map handy and will follow your adventure. So sorry we did not get the chance to see you before you left. Loads of love, Aunt Cath

ewhoags said...

Allie,

I'm thinking there could be a book deal and perhaps a moive in this blog thing. So lets consider the casting: your Dad would be played by Ron Howard (wait a minute Ron doesn't have any hair, ok we'll get him a rug) Your Mom would be played by whomever your Mom approves of playing her...(I'm no fool I like Thanksgiving turkey in LB). Uncle Jay would be played by Wil Farrell playing Ron Burgandy (Anchorman). Oh and Grandma Pookie would be played by that lady who acts as a guide to the ghosts (Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin).. in Beetlejuice. Ok maybe we (I) should wait for a few more installments before casting.

Malawi Wowie

Uncle T

Peter Hoagland said...

Allie,
After three different times I think I have it figured out on how to get this message to you. Ted is wrong I am Kevin Bacon or Hugh Grant. Be safe and have fun.
Oxoxo
Dad

Maxwell said...

Hey Allie ~

This blog is great ~ what a fun way to stay in touch and hear all about your adventures on this wonderful journey. I'm looking forward to the next installment ! The girls are drawing some special pictures for you and want to know if there are DJ's in Africa ! We miss you at the Book Store ~ it is not the same without you.

Love,
Max

Unknown said...

Hey Lady!!!

So I don't know how often you are going to be checking this blog; but I just wanted you to be on the look out for my first of many letters to come your way! I mailed it on Saturday 6/2 and the guy at the UPS store was like, Where is this going?!?!? hahaha It was funny. Once I explained Madonna adopted her son from Malawi it all made sense :) Hope you're doing well!

Miss you,
Kathryn

Lu LIttle said...

Hey Allie my Gallie! Look out for a letter from me too. Went to the Colony tonight and thought of you. D says hi. xoxoxo

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.